Thursday 4 February 2010

Posy Simmonds



I’m not normally inclined to giving plugs or recommendations here - it would just become endless list-making. But once in a while I’ll make an exception. I stopped reading comics (or graphic novels) a few years ago. Despite, or perhaps because of, the fact that I spent a large part of my teens and twenties reading, collecting, drawing and publishing them, I eventually became a bit bored with the form. It began to seem, even at it’s best, neither fish nor fowl and in that way, always a little unsatisfying (to me).

But Posy Simmonds is a class apart from most comic book illustrators. Her light touch belies a shrewd eye and ear. I marvel at this work. No flashiness or designery cleverness - everything quietly noticed and gently stated. In ‘Tamara Drewe’ she creates a wonderfully detailed and believable world that derives nothing from other comics and everything from just looking at what is actually going on around her. Warm, funny, moving, involving.

Brilliant stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment